Re: Seeking new maintainer for apt and synaptic

Hans de Goede wrote:

Axel Thimm wrote:
Hi,

apt/synaptic have been orphaned since about half a year, anyone
objecting in me taking over?

Not really an objection, but do we want to confuse users with an extra way to manage repositories. Also APT AFAIK still doesn't handle multi-lib.

Is there any significant reason to use apt instead of yum? Don't get me wrong choice usually is good, but this is a very fundamental piece of the distro, and becoming so more and more. We also have only one kernel, C-library and X-server and with good reasons.

No, apt doesn't support multi lib..

However, in my work enviro, I have a mix of debain/RHEL/FC and using one package tool makes life, from a script view point, a heck of a lot easier.

Michael