Re: please help: %doc causing extra dependencies ?

Gabriel L. Somlo wrote:
How can I still add these things as *documentation*, without them
causing my package to require PERL ? I've already tried removing
the executable attribute on the files, but the package still ends up
requiring perl...

OK, removing the executable flag works only on proper perl scripts. If
the file is a perl *module*, this won't help, since the relevant bits
of code from   /usr/lib/rpm/find-requires  don't care about
permissions, but rather about the '.pm' extension:

# # --- Add perl module files to perllist.
	for f in $filelist; do
	    [ -r $f -a "${f%.pm}" != "${f}" ] && perllist="$perllist $f"
	done

So, the only way to prevent the package from depending on perl would
be to rename the .pm files in contrib. I could do this, but it feels
like there should be a better way.

Take a peek at:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Perl

Paul.