please help: %doc causing extra dependencies ?

There's a package I'm working on, and it has a contrib directory,
which I'd like to add to /usr/share/doc/<package>/

Trouble is, there are a couple of perl scripts in contrib, and my
package suddenly ends up requiring perl. There's no perl anywhere
else, except in the scripts that get added because of %doc in the
%files section.

How can I still add these things as *documentation*, without them
causing my package to require PERL ? I've already tried removing
the executable attribute on the files, but the package still ends up
requiring perl...

Thanks,
Gabriel