Re: [Fedora-packaging] Re: PLEASE HELP - We need a policy for preventing man page name conflicts

Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:

I suggest efforts would be better directed at fixing the real problem - i.e. the library namespace.

Having an API that calls functions line() and such means it's just a question of time before you run into header conflicts where a program attempts to include two headers with the same function name (or statically link against two libraries with the same symbol, whether the function is used or not)... or link against the library and have a local function called line() defined.

I suppose programming language makes a difference here, but at least this should apply to C code.

Yes, things should get fixed upstream. But in the meantime, we're packaging this stuff and need a policy for a workaround.

I'm inclined to rename all man3 functions to ncarg_<name> to fix my particular issue. I'll file a note upstream as well.

--
Orion Poplawski
System Administrator                   303-415-9701 x222