Betreff: Auto-discard notification
Datum: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 23:05:01 -0400
Von: fedora-education-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
An: fedora-education-list-owner@xxxxxxxxxx

[...] snip!

I was talking with Jeff Elkner (who teaches high school in Virginia, has
been deeply involved with teaching open source for many years, and is
the coauthor of
http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/thinkCSpy/html/, among a myriad
of fantastic open source in education projects) tonight and he was
wondering how to create a custom Linux image for a class he's teaching
this fall.

Oh cool! :) Thanks Mel for posting this here; we should be able to help.

It would be a normal desktop with office applications (openoffice, etc)
and would be put on a USB stick since the students can't install things
on their computers. The purpose would be to get students comfortable
with using open source applications for their work, rather than a focus
on training developers (though the students will be exposed to basic
programming in python via https://launchpad.net/gasp).

I see python-gasp is in Fedora, but a bit outdated... if man-power is needed, I could help co-maintaining it. Luke, what's its current state?

Oh, btw Mel: How do we proceed with the education-bookmarks, btw?

Is this something that the Education SIG would be interested in doing?
What would be needed and what would be involved? Nothing set in stone or
anything like that yet -- just exploring possibilities.

Definitely! We could either help out with instructions how to build a spin, directly incorporate changes in the upcoming F12 Education Spin or even build a specific release (maybe using the POSSE Remix brand?).

Jeff, I'd be glad to help out here!

--Sebastian

--Mel