Re: LyX as LaTeX package for F11 spin

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Mel Chua<mel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For Sebastian: I didn't get this to you in IRC before you left, so...
>
> As far as including LaTeX in the spin, I think the easiest way to start out
> is with LyX.
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/lyx
>
> Even as a more experienced LaTeX user, I would bang out stuff in LyX because
> it's Just Easier for basic stuff. So that's the package I'd include (and its
> dependencies).
>
> If anyone has alternative suggestions, holler. It's been about 2 years since
> I used LaTeX...

FYI:

I'm recommending "kile" for the FEL (< 12) spin. The reason why I
chose kile was to target non-geeks users and at the same time helping
people to manage various autogenerated documents in order to create
professional datasheets [1].

For FEL-12, I'm planning to replace kile by eclipse instead by
packaging the respective latex plugin. FEL-11 already entails eclipse
for hardware design and at the same time eclipse is a _highly_
respected IDE in the hardware industry and it encourages collaborative
development with other RCS plugins.

I have recently (yesterday) introduced "trac-peerreview-plugin" for
F-11. This plugin for trac will help people review codes or text files
of their peer. Hence if we apply the same idea for education, teachers
can review the text files or even the latex files and at the same time
students sharing the same group can review the text of their mates.

A possible methodology for education spin:

student(A) -> eclipse(with latex plugin) -> intuitive built-in svn -> trac

student(B) or teacher -> firefox -> trac -> review text files and add comments

student(A) -> eclipse -> update his/her text files with respect to the
comments on trac -> submit an updated copy to trac.

With this methodology teachers can also follow the progress made on trac.

I have requested that this plugin be enabled on [2], so that I can
show an example of a real life case scenario of this methodology. This
methodology will be part of FEL-12 feature list. Hence people can use
the FEL livedvd for collaborative hardware development.

now if you want to exaggerate the scenario, this trac can be hosted on
a fedora virtualisation solution. Hence you can also market fedora's
virtualisation solutions.

[1]: example: http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/ADA4856-3.pdf
[2]: https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/1457

cheers,