How to move on? Spins, SoaS, and more!

NOTE: This e-mail has been cross-posted to the EDU & OLPC SIG as well as the Sugar Devel mailing list.

When recently doing work with the goal to slim down a few images, some questions occurred to me and I'm wondering, whether it wouldn't be worth discussing them.

So what educational solutions do we currently have to offer?

* Sugar on a Stick [1] - well, this is mainly self-explaining, right? As far as I can see now, it's going to be a Fedora based image including Sugar (among with more activities).

* Fedora Sugar Spin [2] - it's mainly the same concept as SoaS, but can only include stuff which is directly in Fedora. On the other hand, it uses the Fedora trademark.

* Fedora Education Spin [3] - includes a XFCE desktop environment along with the KDE Education package and other related applications.

So. What's obvious here? SoaS and the Sugar Spin are probably targeting the same user group and seem to be (apart from some modifications) pretty equal to each other.

The question I'm asking is: Do we still need a Fedora Sugar Spin? Wouldn't it be worth ceasing it for the F11 release, but to continue to contribute to SoaS?

But regarding the Education Spin: Couldn't we push Sugar in there?

The KDE project is doing a great job with their applications regarding education, and they continue to do so. Recently, Greg made me aware of this project [4], where they try to use Plasma for such purposes.

Now. Wouldn't it be an idea, to work again on the Education Spin and restructure it a bit, include Sugar, talk about the advantages of using KDE, and so on?

I want to ask for your opinion to make sure that this isn't happening too early. But that way, we could provide a great educational solution, based on Fedora, helping both the Sugar and KDE Edu project.

But for this, we need a kind of collaboration, between those projects (e.g. Fedora / Sugar or Fedora / KDE Edu), so that we can provide a well designed, usable solution.

Or, do we just continue pushing the Sugar and the Education Spin as they are for release F11 (the stuff above are just some ideas, which could also be revisited later). We've still some time until feature freeze, but I would like to have a decision on this as soon as possible.

Thanks!
--Sebastian

[1] http://sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Sugar_Spin