Re: Urgent: Fedora Electronic Lab + Educational SW

Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
Danishka Navin wrote:
Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 4:58 AM, Danishka Navin <danishka@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...] snip!
I need kind of extended version of FEL. :)
As you setup the FEL DVD is just 1.2GB.
Could you make a DVD iso by adding other Fedora educational sofwares.
Then teachers can work on other educational SW on the same DVD.

I am not asking to change your FEL DVD structure.
Let it be 1.2GB as you did.
Pls give me a new iso which includes both FEL and Educational software.
[...] snip!

Dear Danishka,

I'm happy to hear from you and your workshops.

If you install Fedora Electronic Lab, you can yum install all
educational software.
Likewise if you install fedora from the standard iso, you can still
yum install any electronic software.

Unfortunately I can't merge electronic and educational software in the
FEL Livedvd iso for the following reasons:
- I am the only one maintaining FEL as full-time
- the use of educational software is vast and targets various
categories of users (astronomy, biology, math,..). for each one of
them the age of the users should be taken into account. We had a
Fedora Educational spin in the past. I'm CC: the fedora board mailing
list hoping someone can revive and maintain a Fedora Education spin.

Ping! Hi there :)

Well, we've an education spin, as well as a special interest group [1] for educational stuff.
I have joined to the team

Welcome and thanks for joining! :)

But, er... I need to admit, the spin which you can currently grab from spins.fedoraproject.org only includes mathematical applications. If you want to get further information, you might want to look at the feature page here [3].

Unfortunately, it became quite calm around the Edu SIG, but I'm still hoping that this doesn't need to be the end.

For example, you could add your name to the wiki and we can try to get something off the ground :). Our last meeting on IRC also happened some time ago - if you're interested in joining, I'd be happy to welcome you!

I've been working on some Sugar & OLPC stuff recently, but I believe a spin with educational or scientific apps is still heavily needed. Maybe we should also expand our goals: Just focusing on mathematical applications might have been not the best idea. Maybe we could also cooperate with other groups in Fedora (with educational or scientific goals) concerning the creation of a spin.

But I still feel that without feedback or ideas from other people, it's somehow hard to get something started. Like Chitlesh said, a list of the software you want use would be great.

Maybe if you give us a list of software you wish to have for your
workshops, maybe fedora can spin a special LiveDVD for your workshops
while you will promote fedora. I ask the approval from Fedora Board
for such a spin through this email.

This might be a solution, too. But nevertheless, I think feedback or ideas concerning a possible spin would be very helpful!

Hi Sebastian,

My target is adding possible software's which covers all (but possible) school education subjects.

Math, Arts, Science, Language/English, Computer, Geography, Accounts, Electronics, etc
for age range of 6 to 18 students and teachers of them.

Okey dokey, this sounds really like a beginning. I think we should also evaluate, which applications we're going to include, since it doesn't really make sense to flood the spin with e.g. three geometry programs, right?

Maybe we should just have a quick meeting on IRC, if you want to. How about this Monday, 1800 UTC on #fedora-edu on Freenode? If this time doesn't work for you or somebody else here around, please let me know!
1800 UTC (local time ~ 2330) is not convenient for me during next week. ( I am away from home)
How about  Thursday or Friday at UTC 1200 or 1300?