K12LTSP chroot Install Notes

Today we had a short conference call with Eric Harrison, Jim McQuillan, Scott Balneaves, Bill Nottingham and Greg DeKoenigsburg talking about what it will take to integrate LTSP to be an official part of Fedora.

After we have the modifications to a Fedora chroot ready for booting K12LTSP thin clients, we will need to make wrap it into a convenient installer.

I just talked with Jeremy Katz, head of our Anaconda installer team.

He confirmed that it would be unacceptable for chroots to be built during initial install of the host system itself. It is best to do such activity in the actual running system where things can be more easily developed and debugged. He suggested that Anaconda in chroot mode is the best way to do this. It could be wrapped into either a firstboot module or a tool to run from the menu.

K12LTSP chroot Installs
=======================
1) On any Fedora install, you can use yum groupinstall to pull in the K12LTSP infrastructure. *OR* Install from the K12LTSP distro cut which has the base system plus K12LTSP by default.

The package that contains K12LTSP thin client image builder has both a GTK+ app, and module in /usr/share/firstboot/modules which runs anaconda with the desired options.

2) During firstboot it runs as one of the later steps. Optionally you can run it from the menu.

3) K12LTSP Thin Client image builder can install the chroot from any RPM packages. This means it could prompt for the K12LTSP or specific CD's containing what it needs, or network.

4) Post-install it flips whatever bits to make it into read-only init mode.

Anaconda chroot mode
hg clone http://hg.fedoraproject.org/hg/fedora/livecd--devel

Fedora's LiveCD builder uses anaconda in chroot mode to build the image before it is made into an ISO. This is a good example to use for the K12LTSP thin client image builder.

How to apply updates to chroot?
We would need some kind of obvious (automatic?) thin client chroot updater. It would use existing tools, yum based.

We need to balance automation for ease while avoiding breakage of user systems. How is this currently handled in Edubuntu?

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx