Re: Mailing List for K-12 Open Source Questions

Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Steve Hargadon wrote:

On one of the technical Linux/Open Source lists I am subscribed to, a
teacher complained about the lack of a mailing list for Free and Open
Source Software for the non-technical users in schools.

Whenever I hear this complaint, I try to read between the lines a little bit. What kind of information is this teacher looking for, exactly, and how will another mailing list help to deliver it?

In my experience, the less technical educators are more likely to be overwhelmed and annoyed by mailing lists as a communication and support medium. These type of users are less likely able to setup automatic filters to throw lists into folders before they are even read.

In general less technical users are better served by other online mediums, like web forums or wikis.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx