Re: Development Focus

> - Make K12LTSP into a "mode" you can enable and configure from a GUI
> interface after you install Fedora.
> - Write improved tools like selection of interfaces and it tells you
> what it will happen.  That way you aren't surprised when a DHCP
> server pops up on an existing network, causing all kinds of fun
> conflicts. =)

I really like this idea.  I brought up something similar about a year ago on
the K12 list, but it didn't get much response because it would have taken more
work from the Fedora developers then the LTSP developers, and was sort of
deemed out of their control.

But a GUI based set of "tools" to enable would be awesome.  I had even thought
of having something similar to a windows server (sorry for the comparison).
When I do a fresh install I get a setup your new server type of window where I
can select a category on the left such as directory server, and then in the
pane on the right it walk me through whether this is the only server in the
network, will this be a primary controller or secondary, blah blah blah and
when I am finished I have an Active Directory Server.  I could see something
similar that had a category to setup the Fedora Directory Server, one to setup
the LTSP server, etc.  I also thought it would be great to tweak the LTSP
install and allow you to do something similar to what Active Directory does,
it would be great for larger installs to be able to do primary LTSP servers
and secondary LTSP servers.  A large problem I see is the the scalability of
LTSP and the ease of doing such.  One server is fine to run a lab or two.  But
some of the schools I want to install in need to run 600 machines.  This
requires multiple servers, and right now that is too complicated for most.
This could also be expanded on and in the setup your server screen you could
also have an application server section.  Here you could have a menu to turn
on application serving to a cluster of LTSP machines or to a primary LTSP
server.  This could also have designation for whether or not it is a primary
or secondary application server.  Say I want to server Open Office to my 600
LTSP machines, most likely no single server I build will handle 400 terminals
in Open Office at once.  I may want to spread this across 3 Open Office Servers.

Sorry for being a little verbose, but I had a lot of ideas on how this could
look.  I really think that scalability is huge to make Fedora/LTSP catch on in
larger school districts.

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora Legacy]     [Fedora Desktop]     [Fedora SELinux]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [KDE Users]     [Fedora Tools]