Re: national OSS-ed summit & barnstorming

On 4/12/06, Matt Oquist <moquist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm still mulling over the national summit idea.
>
> > While having strong regional networks of open source supporters is
> > vital, I think a few nationally barnstorming evangelists would make
> > a big difference, too.
>
> How does one become a "barnstorming evangelist"?  I'm already an
> evangelist, but I know my barnstorming needs work...  Seriously, I'd
> love to see something like this happening but I don't know how to
> manufacture it.  [Inter]National speaker-types seem mostly to spring
> up on their own, by writing and speaking well, getting invited to more
> and more engagements, etc.

Since more of the folks who work the ed-tech conference circuit have
blogs now, I'm a bit more conscious of the whole process, just the
fact that this time of year there's a pretty big ed-tech conference
going on somewhere at any given time, and a handful of folks who seem
to speak at all of them.  For a few of these folks, it appears to be a
career in itself.  But generally, yes, this goes along with writing
some books and/or shilling for your or someone else's company.
Unfortunately, we have no education specific books to sell (am I
forgetting something?), and I don't think there is an open source in
ed-tech startup that is successful enough to allow its founder to
spend most of the year galivanting around the country.

Perhaps a more plausible plan is wooing some of the people who already
have the keynote/pundit gigs locked in.  David Thornburg is actually
doing pretty much straight-up Linux advocacy in his talks now.  Does
anyone know him personally?  David Warlick installed Ubuntu on his
daughter's computer today...
http://davidwarlick.com/2cents/2006/04/11/jumped-off-the-cliff-in-freefall/

> I've copied maddog since I'm guessing he's not on this list, so maybe
> he can chime in with ideas about building such a team of evangelists.

That's a good example.  We need something like Linux (in schools) International.

--Tom

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora Legacy]     [Fedora Desktop]     [Fedora SELinux]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [KDE Users]     [Fedora Tools]