Re: Fedora Education Initiative Launch

Thanks for kicking things off, Warren.

Here's a link to the "Open Letter to Educational Institutions" that
I mentioned during our meeting last week: http://tinyurl.com/eaa99
(softwarefreedomday.org)

> - Collaborate on Samba and LDAP related integration possibly with
> Fedora Directory Server in order to achieve out-of-the-box
> centralized authentication between mixed platform school networks
> (Linux, Mac, Windows).

Single-sign-on is a very significant problem area for a lot of
schools, both those that are ready to head directly into Samba/LDAP
and those that [would] want to authenticate Linux boxes to their
existing Active Directory network.  It would be a huge win for Fedora
if the ease of authentication configuration (for a Samba/LDAP server
/or/ an AD client) compared favorably with Windows.

I don't think this would be an appropriate part of a really good
solution to the above problem, but Dave and I have worked on a hackish
Perl script that eases the pain of configuring Samba together with
OpenLDAP, and I mention it here just FYI:
http://www.majen.net/smbldap/ Since there's no obvious forthcoming
"really good" solution, we're planning to continue to support this
script for a while.  We're interested in enhancing it to support FDS
as well, but no work has yet been done yet toward that end.

--matt

Warren Togami wrote:    [Mon Apr 10 2006, 06:28:35PM EDT]