Re: asciidoc git workflow vs libreoffice change tracking

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 10:08:58PM +0000, Leslie S Satenstein wrote:
> I have used asciidoc and just find that it is acceptable, because the
> maintenance is in ascii, but it is not convenient for tracking changes and
> collaboration.

Thanks for volunteering to help with the documentation Leslie! Since you are working on the installation guide, you may find the examples on the page linked below insightful.

https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/install-guide/pull-requests?status=False

Each "Pull Request" listed on the above linked page tracks exactly who made exactly what change and when (browse the "Files Changed" tab for each PR to see exactly what was changed). There is a bit of a learning curve to using git if you aren't already familiar with it. But it is extremely powerful in terms of its ability to track changes (they can also be undone and "cherry picked" and there is support for merging conflicting changes by different authors but you don't need to worry about any of that to get started).

I would suggest starting small just to get things figured out. Try submitting a pull request to correct a small grammar mistake or typo first just to get the hang of how things work. Your submission should show up on the "Pull Requests" tab here: https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/install-guide

Once accepted ("merged"), the record of your change will be archived under the "XX Merged" link on the pull requests page.

Thanks for contributing!