Self-introduction: Adam Lax

Dear Fedora Project community,

I'm very interested in getting involved as a volunteer to help with open source projects to develop my technical writing skills. I come from the higher education/ non profit sector with over 4 years of experience teaching college level writing to ESL students. I'm looking to transition into technical writing and would like to get more direct experience with the documentation process by volunteering on a project.

  • What other projects or writing have you worked on in the past? I don't have any direct experience with technical writing and documentation but I have extensive experience writing content, proofreading, and editing at a variety of organizations including the University of Maryland, American University, and the American Councils for International Education. I'm currently working with a financial advisor to create a monthly newsletter for his clients informing them of various investment strategies, trends, and history.
  • What level and type of computer skills do you have? I have a limited knowledge of Python and have professional proficiency in microsoft office programs and salesforce.
  • What other skills do you have that might be applicable? User interface design, other so-called soft skills (people skills), programming, etc. My background is in ESL instruction and advising international students at the university level so I have strong verbal and writing communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills. As an ESL instructor, I have taught college level writing for over four years thus I have honed a deep understanding of writing mechanics, structure, grammar, punctuation, and word usage. That work has also helped me develop strong editing and proofreading skills applicable to these kinds of documentation projects. I' m not sure if it's applicable, but I spent over 4 years in China and I have a working professional proficiency in Mandarin Chinese.
  • What makes you an excellent match for the project? I believe my extensive writing, editing, and proofreading experience can be quite helpful for the documentation required for these open source projects. As an educator, I have honed a strong ability to explain orally and in written form concepts, ideas, and tasks in a thorough and step-by-step manner for those who are not familiar with them or even speak English as a first language.
  • GPG KEYID and fingerprint
    • Comment: User-ID: <adamplax@xxxxxxxxx>

      Comment: a.k.a.: APLax

      Comment: Created: 10/6/2020 2:48 PM

      Comment: Expires: 10/30/2022 12:00 PM

      Comment: Type: 3,072-bit RSA (secret key available)

      Comment: Usage: Signing, Encryption, Certifying User-IDs

      Comment: Fingerprint: 54B838963BE5AA2D2A47AD42BF9626E2298AE49E

  • Let us know what kind of topics you're interested in and what time zone you are in. We'd like to pair you with a mentor to help you get started.
- I'd like to help with Fedora docs and I'm in the EDT time zone.

Thank you very much!

Best,

Adam Lax
International Education Policy, MA
2015-2016 US Department of State Fulbright Scholar: aplchinafulbright.weebly.com
Cell number- 301-758-1125