Re: RFC: Git for docs writers

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 6:56 AM Brian (bex) Exelbierd
<bexelbie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have an alternative approach that I like that I feel like makes it easier to keep the fork in sync.  This feels like a huge point of friction for new users and this is hte only reason I am proposing it.

I think I captured this in the latest version, can you please take a
look and make sure I'm not misrepresenting it?
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bcotton/git-for-docs-writers

On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 12:10 PM mowestusa <mowestusa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 3. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bcotton/git-for-docs-writers#Before_every_contribution
> - Would it be a good idea to add in this section the following additional command?
>
> git push origin master

Good point! I don't use the web interface much, so I didn't think of
that. I added it to my draft.

> 4. The following question came up when I started making edits that I didn't have the time to finish today.
> - I understand that ++git checkout -b branch_name++ puts me into my working branch that I have created.
> - However if I need to close my text editor and come back to my edits later, how do I know if I'm still making those edits in my "work in progress" branch instead of my forked "master" branch?
> - Do I fire up a terminal and just run ++git checkout -b branch_name++ again?
> - Or is there a "status" type command that I would run from the terminal to know what branch I'm making my edits in?

`git branch` will tell you the current branch, along with the other
branches it knows about. Your current branch starts with *. I added  a
tip to the "Making a contribution" section:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bcotton/git-for-docs-writers#Making_a_contribution

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His