Re: RFC: Git for docs writers

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 10:05 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi docs team,

Thank you for putting this together.  It has been needed!

I appreciate your feedback, bearing in mind that I intentionally wrote this to be a single way of doing things to focus on getting the job done instead of teaching the reader all of the different ways to do a task.

I have an alternative approach that I like that I feel like makes it easier to keep the fork in sync.  This feels like a huge point of friction for new users and this is hte only reason I am proposing it.

1. Go to Pagure to the docs repo and get the clone URL (this may be an https url and that is OK)
2. On your system clone this url: `git clone <docs repo clone url> -o upstream`
    This will create the repo as a remote called upstream.  This is mostly a detail and can be glossed over
3. Fork the repo in the Pagure UI
4. Copy your fork clone url (git@...)
5. `cd <repo directory>
6. `git remote add origin <fork clone url>`

At this point the master branch is linked to "upstream" and the fork is origin.  What this means is that, following hte rest of the directions, keeping the repo in sync is as simple as `git checkout master; git pull`

regards,

bex

If it's useful, I'm happy to asciidoc it and put it somewhere (I'm just not sure where).

Thanks,
BC

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His

Brian "bex" Exelbierd (he/him/his)
RHEL Product Management & Community Architect
@bexelbie | http://www.winglemeyer.org
bexelbie@xxxxxxxxxx