Re: Season of Docs

Hi,

I'm doing this way late late - my bad, I've had a pretty terrible April so far with a string of events that made me mostly unavailable. In retrospect I should have probably said something sooner :/. We have till Tuesday 20:00 UTC, and I think we might still be able to pull something off.

Shaun, thank you for offering to be a mentor.

I also contacted the installer team yesterday, asking if anyone would like to be a "technical" mentor for the install guide rewrite proposal.

Other than mentors, we'll need two "Organization administrators", people who would manage the participation of Fedora in GSoD. Do we have anyone? Brian, do you think you could do that? And do we know anyone else who might be able to/want to step up? I originally thought I'd take one of the spots, but I think I'd be of more use as a mentor, and I don't think one person can be both.

By the way, I can't find this anywhere in the docs: can a single mentor offer to mentor multiple projects?

Regarding projects, if we can have the same person (i.e. me) offer to mentor multiple projects, then I'd propose the following:

* Refactor or enhance the Fedora Installation Guide by creating separately published documents for each Fedora variant (Workstation/Server/Cloud), taking advantage of Antora

* Update and enhance current contributor documentation, including developing ASCIIDoc markup guidelines and providing a set of ASCIIDoc snippets for common text editors (Atom, Vim, Emacs, Gedit)

* Create a documentation set aimed at users completely new to Linux and Fedora in particular, focusing on describing alternatives to software commonly used on other operating systems (such as web browsers, productivity suites, video/music players, image/video editing software…), and concepts such as package management and updates

Personally I could mentor any of those, or even offer to mentor all of them if that's allowed.

If we manage to agree on something, I can work on making a docs page for GSoD over the weekend, I got the flu so I'm not going anywhere anyway.

What do you think?

Petr