Re: Summary of modular user-story-based docs terminology

Brian (bex) Exelbierd | bex@xxxxxxxxx
+420-606-055-877 |
@bexelbie

On Jan 20, 2017, at 7:14 PM, Pete Travis <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jan 20, 2017 10:38, "Petr Bokoc" <pbokoc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello everyone,

We've been working on modular documentation internally (in Red Hat) for a while, and since our efforts and the modularization/modernization initiative Fedora Docs align to a large degree, we want to share with you what we have so far.

The following is a short digest of our progress so far. We still need to decide how to put everything together and how to keep track of various articles, this is mostly thoughts on various types of content. Hopefully you'll find this useful; I'll follow this up later with some additional ideas.

Modular Documentation - Definitions used for RHEL docs

NOTE: This document is not intended as a complete reference guide for documentation-related terminology.

Module = a building block of information with a well-organized structure that can be combined with other modules into a larger assembly; reused piece of content

  • Procedural module = describes steps to accomplish a task

  • Conceptual module = explains a concept; i.e. not based on task

  • Reference module = lists links to related reference information, such as man pages or other documentation, including other modules or assemblies

Assembly = A collection of modules -- a docs realization of a user story

User story = a short description of something the user wants or needs to do to achieve a goal.

  • Example: As an administrator, I want to set up authentication to a critical system in my infrastructure (gateway VPN, accounting system) to only allow users authenticated via strong authentication methods (two-factor authentication).

  • As opposed to a use case = a description of interactions between the system and the user or other systems.

*snip*

I really like this model, especially the module classes.  Server side includes came up at some point in an assembly-related discussion I had with Bex at some point; that's always seemed like a crafty way to catch a security lecture from a sysadmin :P

That said, server side includes could allow us to more easily assemble articles using components from multiple source repositories, afaik something that no publishing tool can do easily.  Kevin, would you please weigh in on the idea?

I think I have a model for building these that won't require server includes for this. I may want them for an unrelated piece though.

I hope to have a demo ready by 30 Jan. I've got several different pieces ready.

Regards,

bex