Self-Introduction

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to get this in before today's (Mountain Time) meeting.

I started contributing to Fedora back in February as a member of CommOps.
Since then I've been reading the other groups' mailing lists, outstanding
bugs/easyfix and IRC meeting logs as I was trying to figure out the best I can
help out. I have a technical background, specifically I work as a system
administrator at Athabasca University, keeping up a fleet of RedHat Linux
servers that provide Web services.  Relying on good documentation has been
essential in my work so I've learned to appreciate well written guides. And
educating others through well written documentation is just another way to give
back to a great community.

Working with CommOps has helped me learn about Fedora as a community. I took on
a CommOps ticket involving Python development and while I'm learning to get my
Python-fu from hacking someone's code to being a developer I have been looking
around at other things to help with, those that don't require another learning
curve.  Once Fedora Alpha was out I jumped right into testing and by the time I
cleared a Seamonkey crash bug the QA folks were done with the Alpha testing :)
And then came the last CommOps meeting, where linuxmodder asked for help with
documentation for sysadmin, security and selinux. I joined Fedora to help, and
if I can help in an efficient way, even better. I keep asking my daughter to
help me out with Gimp but I can Vim.  So here I am, reading over the Docs
guides list [1]. Heck, csi-security-guide has no QA contact, wait there are a
lot of 'sign up!'-s!

And to answer the questions:

- What other projects or writing have you worked on in the past?

    I haven't contributed to any writing projects.

- What level and type of computer skills do you have?

    I'm familiar with sysadmin tools, version control, Vim as an editor, reST
    as a markup language (have been using Sphinx to publish my docs).

- What other skills do you have that might be applicable? User interface
  design, other so-called soft skills (people skills), programming, etc.

    As I mentioned above one thing I'd like to learn while contributing to
    Fedora is better Python. Helping out with Docs tools would be something I'm
    interested in.

- What makes you an excellent match for the project?

    Patience, attention to detail...I really don't know :) I do believe that
    writing documentation helps not only the reader but also the writer. I'll
    do my best to prove it!

- GPG KEYID and fingerprint: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Viorel

--
Viorel