Re: Introduction Email

On 04/28/2016 03:51 AM, Stephen Wadeley wrote:
> On 04/28/2016 01:25 AM, Drew Meigs wrote:
>> Hi, everyone.
>>
>> My name is Drew and I would like to join the "Docs Project." I am from
>> the US/Eastern time zone (UTC -4 currently). I am relatively new to
>> Fedora, but I have been using Linux for somewhere around 10 years
>> (mostly Debian-based systems until recently). I feel I would be a good
>> fit with the community because my passions are teaching people, and
>> technology. I feel like this group combines the best of both worlds.
>>
>> My main interests are going to be proofreading/correcting and testing
>> for accuracy or doing some QA on the documentation. Eventually I would
>> like to write documentation of my own, but I feel like it could be a
>> while before I am ready to do something like that. I would like to
>> collaborate on projects in the interim, maybe. Though these are the
>> things I WANT to do, I am willing to do most things that the Docs
>> Project takes care of. I am a pretty easy-going guy and if I am asked to
>> do something, I will generally do it. I should be able to dedicate a few
>> hours each week to projects. Some weeks, I may be able to do more.
>>
>> Though I do not have any real, notable experience with documentation, I
>> always got good grades on my papers in college, and friends would get me
>> to proofread for them. I do have experience in explaining things at the
>> level of a beginner end-user, though, and I feel that could translate
>> over to the documentations with a bit of work. My skills are more on the
>> social side than the technical side (though I wouldn't consider myself
>> to be too green on technical things). What I mean to say is that I do
>> well with people and can generally identify and empathize with my target
>> audience.
>>
>> It is very nice to be here and I look forward to meeting and working
>> with you all. If you see me on IRC (rmeigs), feel free to say hi.
>>
>> Drew
>>

>> My GPG Key Fingerprint:
>>
>> pub   4096R/24E57F48 2016-04-24
>>        Key fingerprint = 31BD B8C4 8FFF FAF5 303F  C680 6BF1 A414 24E5
>> 7F48
>> uid                  Drew Meigs <dmeigs[at]openmailbox.org>
>> sub   4096R/F652FFD6 2016-04-24
>> --
>>
> Welcome Drew
>
> You can find us in #fedora-docs on freenode
>
> Pete Travis is our dear leader[0], he will send a welcome with his list
> of helpful URLs soon, but I will include some to get you started.
>
> In the mean time why not tell us what editor you use and do you have any
> experience with markup languages? At the moment we use DocBook but there
> are some who would like to change to asciidoc.
>
> You do not have to know any of that to contribute, corrections and
> additions can be done in other ways. I am just curious.
>
> Contributors should apply to the FAS group[1]
> The Guides Table [2], is worth bookmarkin and a quick read.
> Fedorahosted cgit[3] is the best way to find the correct repo link to
> [...]

Drew,

Welcome to the team.  Nice to see yet another 'I love to teach things to
 lay folk' contributor joining the ranks.  Along with what  Stephen
said,  There are several guides needing  proofread / brought up to date
that you and I could work on to get your 'teeth in' as the saying goes.
Feel free to  reach out to anyone on the team  via  email,  the IRC
channel or  any other means that some of us allow ourselves to be
reached via outside those.