Re: Fedora Publishing

On 11/02/16 01:53, Leslie S Satenstein wrote:
> I favour a wiki approach to documentation.  I also favour using libreOffice with the "Produce Docbook" output format.

I *like* gvim, it's how I write XML, but gvim and LibreOffice are huge
barriers to entry for people who just want to correct a typo or add a
hint about how to do something.

> I wrote "This is a test of docbook output" with LibreOffice and saved the output in docbook format.
> This is the resulting output<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN" "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd";>
> <article lang="">
>   <para>This is a test of docbook output</para>
>   <para/>
> </article>
>

> Writing with WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get), is great for technical writing. As well, the markup and collaboration tools in LibreOffice are what appeals to many individuals.Translation from English to other languages  is made easier by using web services from Google, Microsoft and others.
>
> I would also suggest you compare these two links.Fedora
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/index.html
> SUSEhttps://en.opensuse.org/Main_Page
> Which of the two is more inviting and easier to use?

This is orthogonal, making the docs site look like a wiki is just
tweaking the site html and CSS, but it wouldn't address the usability of
creating and editing content.

Here is how you could make the docs site look if that is what we where
discussing.

https://jfearn.fedorapeople.org/fdocs/en-US/index.html

Really you should compare some actual docs pages like

https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/openSUSE/12.3/

https://jfearn.fedorapeople.org/fdocs/en-US/Fedora/20/html/Release_Notes/index.html

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/23/html/Release_Notes/index.html

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux

Someone at Suse should package publican, I'll do a brand for them for a
cider.

Cheers, Jeff.
--
Jeff Fearn