Re: RFC: docs website layout demo

Hi Pete,

On 12/20/2014 03:10 PM, Pete Travis wrote:
> On 10/23/2014 04:21 PM, Jeff Fearn wrote:
>
> <TRIM!>
>> So this thread has kind of died, I think it's because using bootstrap
>> with the current HTML output is a monstrous job.
>>
>> I'd like to progress with getting the site updated to something
>> similar to my demo then start a separate, longer, process to change
>> the HTML publican generates so that it's much easier for people to
>> radically change the
>> styling.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Cheers, Jeff.
>>

> Hey Jeff,
>
> Thanks again for spending some time on IRC recently.  I've spent a bit
> more time on this, and have developed a few questions I hope you can answer.
>
> First, one of the things I've been struggling with was getting the style
> applied to the homepage.  After trying a number of misguided things, I
> actually looked at $sitehome/en-US/index.html and found this:
>

> $('#splash').load("https://admin.fedoraproject.org/docs-backend//en-US/splash.html
> .article");
>
> The main copy on the page is loaded by this function, and of course it
> strips the <head> out - so no CSS comes with.

FYI we did this because loading the second header in to the page had
some very weird effects on some browsers.

> What we *do* get is:
>
> - chrome.css
> - site_overrides.css
> - splash.css
>
> With your help, site_overrides.css is coming from the docsite-publican
> (home) package now.  The other two files I had to manually copy in from
> /usr/share/publican, and if I recall correctly, I ended up copying over
> all of /usr/share/publican/sitetemplate/ . - Is there an RPM method for
> doing this?

sitetemplate gets copied over whenever you run "publican update_site".

> The CSS files that aren't coming along are:
>
> - db4.css
> - brand.css
> - print.css
>
> This doesn't seem right.  The home page should have the branding,
> right?
>  Is a custom site template needed here?

No, db4.css & print.css also get put in place by running update_site.

brand.css was removed and should not be being required.

Are you using publican from the devel git branch? I did do some changes
to get the shiny happening, but I'm fresh back from holidays and can't
recall everything I did specifically for this :}

Cheers, Jeff.