Re: Lowering the participation barrier for Fedora Docs

On Mon Nov 18 23:53:46 UTC 2013 Pete Travis wrote:
>First off, I feel obligated to point out
>that you've very nearly written your post in functional
>ReStructuredText!  Okay, moving on...

>The idea of accepting contributions in varying formats then converting
>them for publishing is definitely worth investigating.  Let's add
>"Identify formats that can be converted to DocBook with fedora-shipped
>tools" to the list!

>The idea of rolling release documentation is growing on me, as I
>consider it.  There's no reason to hold back from publishing something
>as soon as the feature hits the repos. If we work with a continuous
>release model we'll ship updates to Guides that lag behind release date
>instead of waiting for the next release.  If we're coordinating
>efforts,  it might be more intuitive to focus effort on features than
>release number as well.  I wonder if we can get something like this:

>docs.fedoraproject.org
>-----------------------------------
>- Fedora Documentation
>    -- Fedora 20 Release Notes
>    -- Fedora 20 Installation Guide
>    -- System Administrator's Guide # continuous release
>    -- Burning ISO Images to Disc # continuous release
>    -- etc...
>- Legacy Fedora Documentation
>    -- Everything that isn't continuous release or that is targeted to
>an EOL release
>- etc...
>

>--
>-- Pete Travis
> - Fedora Docs Project Leader
> - 'randomuser' on freenode
> - immanetize at fedoraproject.org

QA is actively working on updating their wiki space and writing
tutorials for new contributors - which might be useful for the Docs
team when it comes to writing guides (at least, I hope they'll be
useful :) ).

I second Pete's ideas here. Pandoc [1] is a great tool for
converting between different forms of markup - which would make life a
whole lot easier when it comes to people submitting short
articles/tutorials. If there was an easy, plain-text, means of writing
tutorials and submitting them, rolling release documentation and
tutorials would be fairly straight-forward to implement.

Anyway, just a thought!

PS - Sorry for splitting the thread, I wasn't subscribed when it
started...

// Roshi
[1] http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc