Publican 3.1

Hi all --

Just a quick heads-up on Publican status. As some of you know, 3.1 has just gone GA, and I hope to have it packaged shortly.

We have a couple of problems with the 3.x series on Fedora, and a couple of implications for Fedora docs on top of that.

1. The big issue is still wkhtmltopdf. This is finally packaged well enough to get it reviewed, so I hope to start that process shortly. In the meantime, however, I plan to have the Fedora package depend on FOP. Publican will, however, default to wkhtmltopdf where it is available. We should make therefore make wkhtmltopdf packages available for Fedora docs folk to use in the meantime.

2. A bug has emerged on F18 in some of the XSL we use; this worked fine up to now, and so it looks like a change in a dependency. We haven't isolated the issue, but the workaround is simple and I'll include a patch in the version we ship.

3. A while back, we overhauled the text of the Fedora brand; I have only recently made this available for translation and will point translators to it.

4. When Publican 3 gets into the repos, we will either need to convert the existing docs site structure to the new Publican 3 structure, or force all writers and translators to stay on 2.8. Obviously, the former is preferable, but will require a freeze on publication while this happens (should hopefully be no more than a few hours)

I think that's it! Stay tuned...

Cheers
Rudi