Just wanted to say hi!

Hello everybody,

My name is Alexander Meesters, 28 years of age, father of a beautiful daughter(and the second one is being compiled as we speak :-)), from Holland(GMT+1).

I'm currently a Web-developer and Sysadmin in the adult industry. My skills range from programming to systems administration. When i wear my sysad-hat i manage, and are responsible, for about 40 servers, two of which are virtual hosts(KVM/Qemu) running 20 nodes. The systems vary from big data housing(40TB+), load-balancers, ram caches, LAMP servers, mail servers, database servers and firewalls across three different data-center environments.

The question i get a lot of time is:"Why the hell do you work in the adult industry?". Well for one, its the most technical challenge one geek could ever have, cause not only must we serve our users content very quickly, we also hold databases with some pretty sensitive information. That brings me to the second, i am fascinated by security.
And not just "Hacking", but also in a sense of redundancy and backups.

The reason i am joining is that i believe that, in the 10+ years i've been running Linux, i have acquired knowledge that is worth sharing. And also, that if my father and a colleague of him at the time, didn't teach me(back then the internet was not accessible for mortals like us), and shared their knowledge with me, i wouldn't be who i am now. I also believe that when to start something you should always start by documenting, first the plan, then the research, then write proof of concepts, etc.. etc... Somehow i always find myself scribbling notes on my notepad.

The thing i want to contribute the most to is security, since it is my fascination, ever since i had a computer. I also have sufficient knowledge of running servers, so i can contribute to that as well if needed. Of course i will have to make do in my free time, but also want to be a family man... so i think it will around 8~10 hours a week that i can make myself available. although i will be idling on irc on work hours

So, if anyone has a question, just shoot! I will be in #fedora-docs, but feel free to drop me a mail anytime :-)

Sincerely,

Alexander "UnCleJack" Meesters