Re: Suggestion for writing release notes

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Couret Charles-Antoine
<cacouret@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bonjour!

Thanks for your suggestion, we're always open to ways we can do things
better. That being said, I'm leary of trying to make major changes to
anything at this stage. I'd rather we took the time to discuss it and
work out potential issues so we can get it right, perhaps with a
target of Fedora 19 for any changes we agree upon.

Here are my quickly-assembled thoughts on the matter. I hope I address
all of your points.

First, I wonder if we're conflating the arguments for the Release
Announcement and the Release Notes. The Release Announcement is a
joint effort between Docs and Marketing and is geared toward media and
general public audiences. It contains mention of key features in the
release in generally non-technical terms. In my mind, the Release
Notes are aimed at an audience that have at least some Linux
knowledge. Not necessarily experts, but at least familiar with the
basics.

I very much agree, however, that "$package was updated to $version" is
insufficient (I'm probably guilty of writing this in some of my
beats). I don't know that the correct solution to this is to
completely change the Release Notes process. I'd rather see more beat
writers so that people can spend more time researching and writing
better sections in the release notes. Certainly, if anyone sees
sub-standard Release Notes entries, they should feel free to contact
the writer for that beat or make changes themselves. Most of the beats
could stand to be more explanatory.

In my experience, Release Notes do tend to be more dry and
technically-oriented. Personally, I prefer something like what we
currently produce so that I can get a quick feel for what has changed
without having to dig through the Technical Notes. I may not be a
representative user.

I'm curious if you've spoken with other translation teams or
ambassador groups about this. Do they feel the same way?

Thanks,
BC

--
Ben Cotton