Re: Man page website

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012, Pete Travis wrote:

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 12:18 +0800, Christopher Meng wrote:
I think we can get as many as possible.

But it's really not an easy job.

I've just been looking at the man2html manual. Apparently, you don't
need to convert the man pages to html. The manual says:

This can be used as a stand-alone utility, but is mainly intended as an
auxiliary, to enable users to browse their man pages using a html browser
like lynx(1), xmosaic(1)  or  net‐scape(1).

The manual then mentions quite a lot of stuff about CGI(something I know
ZERO about). I suggest we involve infra in the discussion? I know
bugzilla uses CGI, and infra would probably know how to use man2html?

One requirement seems to be that we have *all* man pages from *all* out
packages installed on the host so that man2html can run on it. I'm not
sure if we have a host that has all packages installed. Again, infra
would probably be able to shed more light on these details.

And, uh, I would like to help out on this ;)

I had a brief conversation with the guys in #fedora-admin about the idea
this afternoon. It doesn't sound like there is a single resource that
currently has every .rpm or src.rpm on it for us to play with for a new
app, and they understandably weren't enthusiastic about enabling that kind
of kludge. For every package, we'd have to find out if there was an update,
pull the updated rpm/src.rpm, extract the manpages, parse over them, and
push to the web app.  TThey advised that the packages app looks like the
best bet for accomplishing this in a sustainable manner, since it's digging
through each rpm anyway.  That doesn't gain us much besides affirmation,
but it does give us somewhere to focus our efforts.

It's definitely not necessary to install every RPM - you may find man pages in RPM without installing it, by just unpacking rpm one by one in e.g. tmp. Getting a script that goes thru all RPMs in "everything" repository of latest fedora release once a month would do the trick. Still there will be a work on a "thing" that converts man2html, as I'd bet there will be errors in man html pages caused by this conversion.

Adam Pribyl