Re: DocBook XML v 4.5 vs 5?

On 07/25/2010 04:02 PM, Justin Clift wrote:
> The guides I've seen so far in the Fedora Documentation Project are
> using DocBook XML 4.5.
>
> Wondering if there is any intention to move to DocBook XML 5 at some
> point, and if new guides should be in version 4.5 or 5?

DocBook 5 is still under very heavy development -- 5.0 only reached GA
about 8 months ago, and 5.1 already includes major changes to 5.0.

Testing of Publican against DocBook 5 is still in its infancy too.

I'm sure we will migrate to DocBook 5 as soon as it settles down a
little, and we have a chance to test Publican against a stable version.
However, for now, all new books should still be in DocBook 4.5

In the meantime, if you are keen to do some testing yourself, you can
build Publican books with DocBook 5 by setting "dtdver: 5" in the
publican.cfg file. Make sure that you have the DTD and XSL installed
locally, or Publican will go off to the web to fetch them every time you
build something, which will slow things down considerably.

Cheers
Rudi