Re: Guide Translations versus Bug Fixes

On 26/06/10 00:38, Ruediger Landmann wrote:
> On 06/25/2010 10:31 PM, Eric "Sparks" Christensen wrote:
>
>> For clarity I'm starting a new threat specific to the translation versus
>> bug issue.
>>
>> The problem, as I see it, is in the guide life cycle:
>>
>> Development
>> Development freeze
>> Release POTs so translators can do their magic
>> Incorporate magic in with the master source
>> Compile and create all documents
>> Publish
>> Accept bugs
>> System falls apart
>>
>> It's that last portion that is the problem.  If we fix the bugs then we
>> break the translations which means the translators have more catch-up
>> work to do.
>>
> The last step here is not accurate. The lifecycle looks more like this:
>
> Development
> Development freeze <-- NB -- not restricted to new Fedora
> Release POTs so translators can do their magic
> Incorporate magic in with the master source
> Compile and create all documents
> Publish
> Accept bugs
> Incorporate fixes into subsequent releases <-- NB -- not restricted to
> new Fedora
>
> This lifecycle also misses an important exception with regard to bugs;
> which is that severe bugs trump this cycle.
>

>> If we don't fix the bugs then we have "official"
>> documentation that has known errors which, to the end user, can be
>> confusing at best, catastrophic at worst.
>>

> Again, not exactly true. Anything catastrophic needs to be addressed
> immediately as an exception to *any* other process that we have in place.
>
> You'd be hard-pressed to find any piece of documentation for any product
> that isn't confusing to some end user somewhere. Errors with low
> probability of hitting people (and low impact if they do) don't need to
> be fixed immediately, any more than small bugs in software need to be
> fixed immediately.
>

>> And apparently we aren't the only group to have this problem.  GNOME and
>> Ubuntu both have this problem and address it similarly to us.
>>

> Because they're similar projects operating under similar constraints,
> this is not surprising. I don't think we've all ended up in the same
> place by accident.
>
> Which brings me back to my point from last time that the publication
> process for formal documentation is much more like the book publishing
> industry than it is like a wiki.
>

>> It seems that we have two choices:
>>
>> 1) Fix the bugs, push the enhancements to the next release, and
>> translators have more work to do although we should be able to minimize
>> the work.
>>
>> 2) Roll all the bugs and enhancements to the next release and do zero
>> maintenance to the documentation once they have been published.
>>

> I think this is a false choice, if only because it conflates Fedora
> releases with documentation releases.
>
> We *must* run through that lifecycle at the top of this post at least
> [...]

But Rudi, is the situation described in your footnote any worse than
having a procedure that is 100% readable but where step 4 is incorrect?

I would like to hear the thoughts of the localisation teams on this
issue. How do they feel about their current workload? Would point
releases be feasible for them?

I would also like to know roughly how many bugs we would likely to be
fixing mid-cycle - do we have any statistics for the numbers of errors
found in published guides for each cycle, so we can estimate what the
workload is likely to be?

Regards,
Nathan