Re: Fedora 14 Schedule

John J. McDonough said the following on 06/21/2010 06:07 AM Pacific Time:
> One of my tasks has been to review the schedule.  Of course, we all
> should be looking at it.  I've been struggling some to make sense of it.
> There are a couple of issues, but even a few issues can make it very
> confusing.

I'd love to help make it less confusing.  This is the first time I've
heard it was a problem.

> You should all be aware that John has posted the schedule at
>
>    http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-14/
>
> If you look at f-14-docs-tasks.html it can be very confusing since
> release notes, announcements and guides tasks are all mixed together.
> The report, f-14-docs-tree-tasks.html is a lot easier to digest.  Until
> you have your head around that one, the docs combined with translation
> and releng are totally confusing, so look at the tree tasks first.
>
> It is a pity that you don't seem to be able to get a Gantt chart out of

It is a pity someone never asked :)

> taskjuggler, but if you download the two files from John's "source"
> directory (f-14.tjp and reports.tji) and open them up in taskjuggler,
> you can see the dependencies in the source.  To do that:
>
>    1) Select the tasks tab on the left
>    2) Highlight the task you wish to examine (note that in general
>       the tasks are folded into higher level tasks)
>    3) The task will be highlighted in the source on the right, and
>       if there is a dependency, it will say "depends" on the right
>       under the highlighted task name
>
> It still isn't super-simple since Docs is only a tiny part of the whole
> release, and of the hundreds of "external to docs" tasks, there are
> perhaps a dozen that actually matter to us directly, and they don't
> always show up within the folded group (e.g. Beta Release Notes), so it
> isn't always obvious why a particular task has to happen on a particular
> day without a fair amount of digging.
>
> Rudi and I will be getting updates to John, so if you notice anything
> that seems out of place please let us know.
>
> Thanks,
> --McD

It is disappointing and counter productive to see posts like this
complaining about how hard it is to use what you've been given when to
my knowledge you've never specifically requested what you need to make
your job easier.

What were you hoping people would take away from this post beyond "the
schedule is too hard to read and we'll be sending changes to John" ?

John