Re: CC license logos/buttons

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karen Schneider" <kgs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "For participants of the Documentation Project" <fedora-docs-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 07, 2009 9:19 AM
Subject: Re: CC license logos/buttons

"Creative Commons License Buttons: The Creative Commons buttons that
describe a key term of our license, such as BY, NC, ND, SA, Sampling,
Sampling Plus and Noncommercial Sampling Plus may only be used in the
context of pointing to a Creative Commons license on the Creative
Commons server that includes that license term or to otherwise
describe the Creative Commons license, that includes that license term
and that applies to a particular work."

So, that particular artwork may only be used to drive traffic to their site.
Sounds awfully Microsoft-y to me.

(Emerging from lurkdom) I was surprised by this message and wonder if
Creative Commons as a project really wants that as an outcome. They
may not have factored in circumstances that would make that clause
difficult to implement.

If an organization is all about licensing, it must be just chock full of lawyers. I suspect that you are right, they did some obvious lawyer-speak without really thinking through the appearances.

--McD