Re: F11 release notes ready for translation

Given the discussion about the length and complexity of the Release Notes, I thought people might be interested in some statistics.

I downloaded the individual branches for Fedora 7 through to Fedora 11 and ran the German po files through Publican successively (since the German translation appears to be practically complete in each version).

The results show a general growth in the number of strings from each release to the next; however, the number of strings requiring translation in Fedora 11 is actually smaller than the number of strings requiring translation in Fedora 10 (and the Release Notes for Fedora 11 contain 10% fewer strings overall than the Fedora 10 Release Notes)

Of course, this says nothing about the complexity of the material.

Fedora 8:
  Total strings: 620
  Strings unchanged from Fedora 7: 377
  Fuzzy translations: 94
  Untranslated strings: 149
  Strings needing attention from translators: 243

Fedora 9:
  Total strings: 812
  Strings unchanged from Fedora 8: 329
  Fuzzy translations: 194
  Untranslated strings: 289
  Strings needing attention from translators: 483

Fedora 10:
  Total strings: 1080
  Strings unchanged from Fedora 9: 141
  Fuzzy translations: 409
  Untranslated strings: 530
  Strings needing attention from translators: 939

Fedora 11:
  Total strings: 963
  Strings unchanged from Fedora 10: 89
  Fuzzy translations: 186
  Untranslated strings: 688
  Strings needing attention from translators: 874

If anyone would like to see the results of the string matching, just send me an email. Also, if anyone would like to see the same analysis in a language other than German, I'm happy to do this for you as well.

Cheers
Ruediger

PS: If anyone knows of a tool or method to gauge the comparative complexity of the texts, I'd be very interested to learn about it.