Re: More Publican Pain

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Christensen" <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "For participants of the Documentation Project" <fedora-docs-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 9:26 AM
Subject: Re: More Publican Pain

I'm using IE7. I believe IE8 is still in beta. Unfortunately, I recently updated all my IE6's. That is still probably the most prevalent browser out there and I can't test it. IE7 appeared about the same time as Vista and it got caught up in the Vista negativity. I haven't seen any evidence of the IE7 horror stories I heard when it first came out, but they prevented me from getting rid of IE6 for a very long time. And on those web pages where I see those kind of stats, I still see a lot of IE6.

I've never seen svg graphics used on the web except on Fedora sites, but it is just plain wrong for IE to simply barf on that. I would expect to see the box and go on. Why it totally stops I have no idea.

On the other hand, I have no idea why Publican would put out a 0xc2 after each section number. This seems like an unnecessary thing to do.

*HOWEVER*, if I select UTF-8 encoding, the page displays properly. The A circumflex is clearly an IE bug. With encoding set to automatic, IE selects Western European (at least for a US copy of Windows), when the page clearly says UTF-8.

Clearly, there are a couple of IE bugs here that we are exploiting. But it really doesn't change the problem, does it?

--McD