Re: What is the purpose of a Docs CMS?

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay wrote:
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Karsten Wade <kwade@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Our current system is essentially checking rendered content in to
source control, and an auto-builder puts it on the web.  Historically,
this system was never well adopted, even by people who otherwise know
and understand the tools.  Instead, easier to use tools have drawn the
attention and content, such as wikis and blogs.  The adoption rates
are staggering by comparison.

I am sure that I have missed this somewhere, but what are the specific
pain points that make the source_control_toolchain_builder driven
system not adoption ready ?

Not enough time in a day to waste on learning something like this. I have been a active contributor via release notes but only on wiki edits. Someone else has been doing the conversion into docbook xml and publishing it.

Not that I don't know docbook xml or aren't aware of the benefits but it is simply too tedious to do on a regular basis. a CMS would cut the middlemen and let me publish directly, hopefully.

Rahul