Re: Docbook XML to PDF convertion

Tommy Reynolds wrote:
Since I'll release the book freely, I will need a PDF version for distribuition, since many people will like to print it. The Documentation Guide says that PDF generation is somewhat broken :(

Yes, PDF production is broken in at least two ways.

The first is the easier to correct.  The stylesheets used for the PDF
generation need much care and feeding.  Largely been ignored because
of item #2:

The passivetex back-end we use for PDF generation is obsolete and
simply not up to the task for anything much more than some small
documents.  Passivetex isn't maintained anymore, so there is bit rot
as well.

Other than FOP, is there other alternativa? I have looked in the Docbook page, and found this list:

http://sagehill.net/docbookxsl/FOprocessors.html

The most of them are commercial, but I noted the free 'xmlroff'. Do you know it? I don't :)

Using Apache FOP for PDF rendering is currently our best bet, but it
needs some non-free components, such as graphics rendering, so FOP in
its current state isn't an option for FDP.  The situation may change but
that's how it is now.

I'll begin to test with your package. Right now I can't because here at work I only have internet access throught a proxy, and it appears that the program is trying to access something while I "make pdf":

===
[ERROR] property - "background-position-horizontal" is not implemented yet.
[ERROR] property - "background-position-vertical" is not implemented yet.
Error creating background image: Error while recovering Image Informations (http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/images/draft.png) : null
[ERROR] property - "background-position-horizontal" is not implemented yet.
[ERROR] property - "background-position-vertical" is not implemented yet.
Error creating background image: Error while recovering Image Informations (http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/images/draft.png) : null

(infinite loop...)
===

So when at home I'll try again.
Right now I'm trying to study how the xsl stylesheets work and trying to get things fixed in the current method :(

Some tips? Advices? Tutorials on changing and customizing the xsl stylesheets? :)

Customizing the XSL stylesheets can be deep magic. If you have a
basic understanding of XSL, then I'd suggest modification by
experimentation.  Just turn the knob and see what it adjusts.

Studying and doing that :)

Keep your customizations to the file "docs-common/xsl/main-pdf.xsl",
or to a file directly imported from there.  The deeper an file is
nested, the less precedence it has and in the event of conflicting
settings the one with the greater precedence wins.
Still game?

Well since I need to do it, I'm going to try hard on that. Thanks for the tips!

--
[]'s
Eitch

http://www.devin.com.br/eitch/
"Talk is cheap. Show me the code." - Linus Torvalds

--

fedora-docs-list@xxxxxxxxxx