Re: Fedora survey results

Hi

I would like to consider this as a marketing opportunity:

"X% of you think that Fedora documentation could use serious
improvement.  Want to help?"

"Think Fedora documentation sucks?  You can make it suck less."
We need to differentiate between document that sucks and documents that simply dont exist. I think people are complaining about the perception of non existent documentation. What end users generally consider Fedora documentation is available in http://fedora.redhat.com/docs but thats not the whole story. There are thousands of documentation available in man, info pages and /usr/share/docs. Also published books. I would go back to my idea of making a documentation portal which combines formal Fedora documentation, the results of rpm -qd (%docs in the spec) of all packages from the build system published in revisions, published books in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Books, work in progress docs (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsRawhide) and so on into a easily searchable and referenceable format. Throwing in links to RHEL docs (http://redhat.com/docs) cant hurt either since most of it is usually applicable to Fedora users too. . We can potentially identify the quality of the existing formal docs and understand better what end users are looking for in a separate survey. Then we of course need to get more contributors to fill in areas that are either not documented or poorly done and go ahead and market the opportunity based on survey results.

regards
Rahul

--

fedora-docs-list@xxxxxxxxxx