Re: taking screenshots - new section for Documentation Guide (was installation guide)

Karsten Wade wrote:

Okay, so the proposals for new ID generation rules are:

1. "similar-to-title"
2. "s.similar.to.title"
3. "sn-similar-to-title"

I vote for

1 (b). s.similar-to-title

as it provides a different separator to distinguish structural info from semantic, content-related info.

I have seen the most problem in the PDF builds, but the HTML builds also
seem to do funny stuff with more vertical space if you don't run your
first and last text against the opening and closing <screen> tags,
respectively. In other words, given these two examples:

<!-- first example -->
<screen>
<computeroutput>
foo
bar
</computeroutput>
</screen>

<!-- second example -->
<screen><computeroutput>foo
bar</computeroutput></screen>

The second example renders into a more pleasing vertical context,
without a lot of wasted space. The PDF, IIRC, was particularly ugly if
you didn't use the second form, but I seem to remember the HTML also was
noticeably different.

I can't get anything to build PDF right now to test this, but in HTML I
see the same thing as output, so am not sure of the advantage of the
different way you suggest it.

I do notice that doing sgml-fill-paragraph will make them line up like:

<screen><computeroutput>foo bar</computeroutput></screen>

Then introducing the line break gets the functionality you mention.

Ultimately, I think we will want to drop the redundant <computeroutput>
and use a CDATA container instead.  In that case, _all_ whitespace will
be considered for certain.  All content will need to use the left margin
of the XML as starting point for indention.

FWIW, I've switched over to <screen><![CDATA[ ...verbatim content... ]]></screen> with no ill effects (yet).

Example:

<screen><![CDATA[<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN">]]></screen>

There are those times when having the capability of just dumping your content into a CDATA section can really simplify the markup.

OTOH, if the HTML/CSS styling issue Tammy brings up presents problems, then I'd support using <computeroutput>.

FWIW, the <screen><computeroutput> combo doesn't seem to add anymore semantic info due to overlap in meaning between the two elements.

My $0.02,
Mark

Mark Johnson                     <mjohnson@xxxxxxxxxx>
OS Product Documentation Group
Engineering, Red Hat, Inc.       <http://www.redhat.com>
Tel: 919.754.4151                Fax: 919.754.3708
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242