Re: Style guide

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 21:34, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 15:11, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > As I write docs, e.g. my mirror-tutorial, I'm making stylistic decisions
> > (i.e. self-editing). As I edit myself, I'm trying to make notes in my
> > TODO for the eos-guide, which I hope will be incorporated in the
> > eventual Style Guide. I'm hoping to do some major contribution to that
> > guide, especially after having XML coded Strunk's book recently.
> >
> > If you notice a stylistic decision that you are making consciously as
> > you write, whether you think it is glaringly obvious or not, please feel
> > free to send me a note about it -- off-list please, since I'll have the
> > TODO available at my repo if you would like to look at or add to it. See
> > <http://svn.frields.org>* for more information; the TODO is in the
> > eos-guide folder.
> >
> > I intend to use not just EOS, but also the GNOME Style Guidelines (which
> > are licensed via the FDL), as source material for any work I can do on
> > the Style Guide. If, perchance, anyone else has already started, I hope
> > you'll consider this an offer of help. :-)
>
> Awesome offer, both to get the Style Guidelines[1] started, and to
> collect style tips from all of us.  I'll certainly send them.  I'd also
> argue that your interest and activity so far should let you be the
> author/compiler of the Style Guidelines, at least initially.  As much as
> the Doc Guide, the Style Guidelines will require group and editorial
> approval, so you will have to return to us for consensus on what you
> create more than any other doc you are likely to work on.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. As for passing everything back
through the group, I wouldn't have it any other way! :-)

> Once a style is set for a group, adherence to the style becomes the
> goblin of the editors.  Changing even a small rule about punctuation can
> have big ramifications.  We may want to consider that in terms of
> keeping our rules light, meaningful, and standardized.
>
> [1] I'm trying the sound-out the idea of "Guidelines" instead of
> "Guide".  This way we can include outside resources by reference as part
> of the guidelines, or just include sections of free sources like the
> GNOME Style Guide (not Guidelines, I think) in their entirety.

Right, it's GNOME Documentation Style Guide. Already showing my keen
attention to detail, aren't I? ;-D

> > *Umm, I have mentioned that repo a few times, and I hope (Karsten, this
> > means you especially) that *someone* will say something if my doing so
> > is a faux pas. I am fully aware that it's not part of the FDP, nor is it
> > intended to be. It's only a nice way for me to work on this stuff at
> > remote locations, until the One True CVS appears, but I also wanted
> > editors and collaborators to be able to reach it too.
>
> I think the consensus so far is:
>
> * We don't want outside repositories or hosted draft documents to be
> seen _at_all_ as official, supported, backed-up, unrootkitted, or
> anything sources for FDP docs or SCM (software configuration
        ^^^^^ other than? (not nitpicking, just making sure I
understand.)
> management).

> * We don't specifically recommend using personal hosting, but we do
> mention it as an allowable part of the *writing* process (not the
> *publishing* process) for FDP.
>
> In essence, what you are doing isn't much different than my hosting
> stuff at people.redhat.com.  Personally, I should be keeping all my
> local work in local source control, anyway. :)

I think I'm on the right side of both conscience and consensus then.
I'll continue to direct people to my working drafts when appropriate,
with a constant notation that anything found there is a work in
progress. I will make it a point to mess with the ViewCVS templates to
indicate same on the site.

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE