Re: Process suggestions vol. 1

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 09:27, Karsten Wade wrote:

> > Comment. I'm nervous about the number of 'titles' around? (Roles)
>
> These aren't empty titles, they are roles to be fulfilled in a process.
> Not intended to add bureaucracy, just layers to get stuff done and make
> sure it is of a consistent quality.

In which case its rephrasing then? 'The following tasks need doing'
or 'terminology'?

> > Agree the jobs need doing;
> > Some 'titles' aren't mentioned again? (package maintainer)
>
> Somewhere toward the end I mention that we may want to have a
> fedora-docs RPM that goes in Core, Extras, etc., which contains a
> snapshot of documentation for the related version of FC.  That package
> would need a maintainer, in addition to having a process to decide what
> goes into the package.

OK, I misunderstood... or it wasn't clear. You decide.

> > Specifics:
> >   Invalid use for emacs.
> >   If you want your xml tidying up say so.
> >   XSLT can indent nicely with no content change. (identity transform,
> > output set to indent=yes.
>
> I'll disagree about that being a valid use of Emacs, but whatever. ;-)
>
> You can't blindly indent the document and walk away.  If you anything in
> a <screen> or <programlisting> block that requires specific formatting
> (white space, etc.) -- such as code from a program, example from a
> config file, or a series of command line examples -- doing a DTD based
> indent will likely mess up those sections.  If that is not true, I'd be
> very happy to see a demonstration.  Otherwise, I will continue to
> manually C-c C-q my XML in Emacs.

Yes. For docbook just list the element names requiring whitespace
retaining. The rest get 'tidied' up.
  <xsl:strip-space elements="*"/>
  <xsl:preserve-space elements="programlisting screen literallayout
...."/>

> Not a problem to do it myself, just wanted to get it more set in
> sandstone before going over from plain text. :)

OK

Save you 5 mins.

--
Regards DaveP.
XSLT&Docbook  FAQ

<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN"
 "/sgml/oasis/docbookx.dtd" [

<!ENTITY RH "Red Hat"> <!--The generic term "Red Hat" -->
<!ENTITY RHL "Red Hat Linux"> <!--The generic term "Red Hat Linux" -->
<!ENTITY RHEL "Red Hat Enterprise Linux"> <!--The generic term "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" -->
<!ENTITY RHN "Red Hat Network"> <!--The generic term "Red Hat Network" -->
<!ENTITY FORMAL-RHI "&RH;, Inc."> <!--The generic term "Red Hat, Inc. -->
<!ENTITY PROJECT "Fedora project"> <!-- Set the project name -->
<!ENTITY NAME-TITLE "Fedora Project"> <!-- Set the project name, use for titles -->
<!ENTITY DISTRO "Fedora Core"> <!-- Set the distro name -->
<!ENTITY BOOKID "jargon-buster-1.8 (2004-01-30)"> <!-- change version of manual and date here -->

<!ENTITY LEGALNOTICE SYSTEM "../common/legalnotice-en.xml">

]>
<article>
  <title>The Writing Lifecycle for Fedora Docs Project (FDP)</title>
  <articleinfo>
    <revhistory>
      <revision>
	<revnumber>1.0</revnumber>
	<date>11 Aug 2004</date>
	<authorinitials>DaveP</authorinitials>
	<revdescription><para>Initial Release</para> </revdescription>
      </revision>
      </revhistory>

    &LEGALNOTICE;

  </articleinfo>

  <note>

<para>This is a process document, written in a style to describe systems as
if they exist.  In this document, the reader (you) are treated as
someone coming into and through the project as a contributor.</para>

<para>When this process doc describes the system at the level we want to
start interacting with it, components can be chunked and parsed to
small groups for iteration and contribution.</para>
<para>
Ultimately, this process should be a stand alone document or
incorporated into the Doc Guide.  Bits that are referenced but remain
unwritten are marked (unwritten).</para>
</note>

  <sect1>
    <title>Roles defined in this process:</title>

    <simplelist>
      <member>* Author, who author content and/or XML; for example, two people can
  work together, one doing the content, the other converting to XML.
</member>
      <member>* Editor(s), presumably a group maybe with a separate mailing list,
  who have go/no-go control over what gets published on
  fedora.redhat.com/docs.  The FDP maintainer/leader(s) are de facto
  members of this group, but do not exert final authority.  Editors
  must reach consensus (or majority opinion?).
</member>
      <member>* Maintainer of fedora-docs in CVS, who interacts with the overall
  Fedora CVS maintainer.
</member>
      <member>* Maintainer of website, specifically fedora.redhat.com/projects/docs
  and fedora.redhat.com/docs.
</member>
      <member>* Package maintainer for fedora-docs RPM in Core/Extras.
</member>
      <member>* Recipient of bugs to fedora-docs.
</member>
</simplelist>

<para>A single person can fill one or more roles, just as a single role can
be fulfilled by one or more persons.</para>

    <sect2>
      <title>Read This</title>

<para>   It is presumed that a writer with a contribution or interested in
   contributing will do the following:</para>

      <orderedlist>
	<listitem>
	<listitem>
	<listitem>
	  <para>  Know what ideas don't have authors (unwritten)  {Link to
     appropriate URLs}</para>
</listitem></orderedlist>
<para>   One thing to do:  introduce yourself to the group.  Use the self
   introduction method described at
   http://www.fedora.us/wiki/SelfIntroduction.  This is how it is done
   on fedora-devel-list.</para>
</sect2>
</sect1>

<sect1>
    <title>From Idea to Assignment</title>

<sect2 id="s1.1">
      <title>   You Have An Idea</title>

<para>   If you have a specific idea in mind, consider your idea in the
   context of the existing materials.  Ask yourself some questions:</para>

      <orderedlist>
	<listitem>

	<listitem>

	<listitem>
	  <para>Is it a group or solo project?  If a group, how can you interest
      others?
</para></listitem>
	<listitem>

	<listitem>
</orderedlist>

<para>   With that in mind, you can bring your idea to the list.  Tell us
   about it, with your answers to the above questions included.
   Accept some feedback.  You want to get to a point where the
   consensus is, "Yes, that is a good idea, proceed, we'll include it
   in the Fedora docs repository."  Project members will keep in mind
   your previous posts to the list, other work you've done here and
   other locations, information from your self-introduction, the
   quality of your idea, and your level of commitment to it.</para>

<para>   A fully realized idea ready for writing should have the following
   completed for it:</para>

      <orderedlist>
	<listitem>
	  <para>A scope or charter describing what problem the tutorial solves
      and how it goes about solving it.</para>
</listitem>
	<listitem>

	<listitem>

	<listitem>
	  <para>A strawman schedule, mainly focusing on milestone generation.
      Associate them with dates for convenience; the goal is to have a
      list of milestones which show progress towards completion.
</para></listitem>

</orderedlist>
</sect2>
    <sect2>
      <title> You Don't Have An Idea</title>

<para>   If you don't have a specific idea for a tutorial in mind, you will
   need to find an assignment.</para>

      <orderedlist>
	<listitem>

	<listitem>
	  <para> Ask on the list or look through existing tutorials, find out if
      anyone needs assistance authoring or maintaining.
</para></listitem>

	<listitem>
	  <para>Look around on the Web for useful tutorials written for early
      versions of Red Hat Linux or other distributions, and consider
      if they will be useful to port over to Fedora Core.  If you find
	    one, go through the process described in <xref linkend="s1.1"/></para>
</listitem>
   <para>Ultimately, any idea you have will require some form of the work
	done in <xref linkend="s1.1"/> to get the idea accepted for publication.</para>
</sect2>

</sect1>
<sect1>

      <title>From Assignment to Production</title>
    <sect2>
      <title>What You Need to Know</title>

<para>   These are items you need to know, guidelines to follow, when
   writing your tutorial.  Remember to </para>

<para>    Read the full Doc Guide.  If you are not authoring natively in
     XML and will be seeking conversion, you will still need to be
     familiar with the other processes outlined in the Doc Guide.
     Read the chapter on Writing Not in DocBook in both the Quick
     Start and Doc Guide (unwritten).  Look at other editor specific
     chapters in the Doc Guide (unwritten) if you need them.</para>

  <para>Read the Style Guide.  This is a collection of appropriate
     materials that tell you the style in which you need to write,
     guide you on grammar, specify word choice, and demystify
     terminology. (unwritten)</para>

  <para> Follow the System Documenting Guidelines in the Doc Guide
     (unwritten), which specify how to eliminate variables that are
     not common to a Fedora Core installation.  For example, using a
     default, fresh user account removes dependency on .bash* file
     tricks.  These include best practices for technology usage, such
     as using rpm packages instead of tarballs.  We might choose to
     have equal preferences for equivalent technologies, such as
     up2date and yum.  Reminder to document the existing system, not
     provide "fixes" that make a system unsupportable, abnormal, or
     otherwise _more_ difficult to maintain.</para>

   <para> One of the reasons for using Emacs is that it is capable of
     indenting the code according to the DTD.  It is essential for
     sane CVS diffs that we all stick to the proper indent
     formatting.  For translation purposes, we may not want to
     reformat during a translation cycle, as that can throw off the
     line count for diff tools.  Regardless of what tool used to
     author the XML, it _must_ follow the formatting guidelines
     defined in the Doc Guide.</para>

   <para> If you are authoring in XML, prepare your directories according
     to the example-tutorial and as outlined in the Doc Guide.</para>
    </sect2>
    <sect2>

      <title>   What You Need to Do</title>

<para>   Documentation is harder to "release early, release often" than are
   applications.  A broken document can be far more serious than an
   app segfaulting.  However, you don't want to be writing your
   document in a vacuum, without the benefit of collaborating with
   peers.  It is fine to show it to friends, family, and foes, but it
   should be noted that it is BETA or DRAFT documentation, and anyone
   who is fool enough to trust it gets to keep both pieces when it
   breaks.</para>
<para>
   You are encouraged to host your work-in-progress (WIP) on a
   personal webpage, in order to show to project peers.  Remember to
   make the .xml or other source available.  If you do not have usable
   Web space, look for willing hosting partners in the project, who can
   build and host your beta documents.</para>

<para>   If possible, accept patches to your document as XML patches.  This
   makes it easier for peers to offer fixes.</para>
</sect2>
  </sect1>
  <sect1>

    <title>From Production to Posted</title>
<para>
   At this part of the process, a document has to undergo peer
   editing, both of content and XML.  Posting to the mailing list is
   the currently accepted process; the editors group may choose to add
   more process in here.</para>

    <orderedlist>
      <listitem>
 Open a bugzilla ticket, setting the Severity: to "enhancement".
      Include in this bug the state of the document, the location of
      the HTML, XML, and PDF if you choose.  If you have permission,
      set the bug to block the New Doc Submission tracker bug
      XXXXXX. (unwritten)
	<note>
	  <para>This needs clarification</para>
	</note>

</listitem>
      <listitem>
	<para>Send an email to the mailing list, with the same
      information as in the bug report, and the bz number.  Any editor
      can receive the submission by adding the block to the tracker
      bug, and accepting the bug Assignment for themselves or for the
      editors (if the editors have a separate mailing list and
      associated bugzilla account, e.g. fedora-docs-editors-list.)
      (unwritten)</para></listitem>

      <listitem>
	<para> Get editors engaged in reading the content and XML source.  Fix
      and fight and fix and fight and fix and fight and fix and
      finally feast.  Work well with your editors.  Do it publicly.
      Use the bug report to track changes, discussions, and comments,
      with URL links back to mailing list threads.
</para></listitem>
      <listitem>
	<para> When the editor(s) have approved your document for publication,
      the ticket is assigned to you.  Prepare the directory for CVS
      into a tarball.  If you do not know how to do this, refer to the
      chapter Preparing Your Document for CVS in the Doc Guide
      (unwritten); if that doesn't help, ask your editor for
      assistance.
</para></listitem>
      <listitem>
	<para> Attach a link to the tarball to the bz report, or even the
      tarball attached itself if small enough, and assign the ticket
      to the maintainer of the fedora-docs CVS module.  When CVS-fu is
      complete, the ticket is assigned back to the editor(s).
</para></listitem>
      <listitem>
	<para> At this point, work continues in CVS.  If you don't have CVS
      access, get it.  Read about how to use CVS in the Doc Guide.
</para></listitem>
</orderedlist>
<para>
 A final snapshot is defined as ready to post to the world as
      Fedora documentation when the editor(s) and the author(s) come
      to a consensus.  The ticket is then assigned to the maintainer
      of fedora.redhat.com/docs, who finally posts the document into
      the doc tree.  The Web maintainer either closes the ticket, or
      reassigns it to the author or editor(s) to handle.</para>
<para>
   An active new document may keep the same ticket open, spawn several
   sub-tickets and other bug reports blocking the main ticket, and/or
   reused for continuous posting.  An infrequently changed document
   can close this ticket and open a new one when new changes are
   desired.</para>
  </sect1>
  <sect1>

    <title> From Posted to Maintained</title>
<para>
   Once a document is posted, the lifecycle switches into the
   maintenance mode.</para>
<para>
   When there are sufficient documents to make it worthwhile, the
   Fedora docs project may start maintaining an RPM of documents to
   ship with Fedora Core, Extras, or another channel
   (fedora-docs-en-*.rpm).  If you or anyone feels your document should be
   included in that list, it will need a bug report requesting the
   enhancement, and go through the editors for approval.  Once
   approved, the bug is assigned to the maintainer of the fedora-docs
   package.</para>
<para>
   If a translator is interested in translating the document, a
   request for enhancement bug report should be filed.  Similarly,
   such a translated document can be included in a language specific
   version of the fedora-docs package.</para>
    <sect2>
      <title>   Maintenance Lifecycle</title>

      <para> When a test release is made, that is the time to review your
      document against the latest reality.  If you find a discrepancy
      or change, you may want to track down the developer and find out
      how it's likely to end up for final release.  Usually you are
      targeting your update for the release, but there are rare
      occasions where you update a document for each release, such as
      the release-notes or a specific FAQ.
</para>
<para> When bugs come in against your document, the receiver of bugs to
      fedora-docs will reassign the bug to you for fixing.  Respond in
      a timely fashion, get clarity from the reporter if needed, and
      update the document in CVS to reflect the change, noting the bz
      report number in the CVS changelog.  When the bug is ready to
      close, change to QA_READY (feature unwritten?).  An editor will
      check the change, and if approved, assign the bug to the website
      maintainer, who will handle the posting to /docs and close the
      bug.</para>

      <note>
	<para>      NOTE: Don't forget to update the version number of your document
      when you post a new version.  This helps immensely when tracking
      bugs in bugzilla, where the version number should be specified
      by the reporter.  Remember that you may end up maintaining
      different documents depending on the version of Fedora Core.</para>
</note>
<para> There is likely a reason to maintain an old document for at
      least one or more versions of FC.  A worthy document can be
      carried on by the Fedora Legacy project, if they see fit, when a
      version of FC is handed off by the FC developers to the Legacy
      project.  If you do find that it's necessary to maintain
      multiple versions, you will want to have the CVS branched.  File
      a bug report for that, assigned to the fedora-docs CVS
      maintainer, who may pass the ticket on to the FC CVS maintainer.</para>

<para> If you come to a time when you realize you no longer want to or
      are able to maintain your document, you should evaluate if the
      document deserves to be continued.  Either way, announce to the
      mailing list and specifically the editor(s) about your decision
      and recommendations about the fate of your document.  If
      possible, look for a person to hand-off maintenance to, and work
      with him/her/them for as long as possible to do the hand-off.
      For more details, see the (unwritten) chapter in the Doc Guide
      about document hand-off.</para>

</sect2>
</sect1>

</article>