Re: [389-users] Replication

Odd, I got MMR working with SSL...and I only referenced that documentation (well, and assistance from this list and the IRC room...).  It was 1.2.6, but surely that didn't really change things?

Sounds like everyone is agreeing (even if indirectly) that the documentation is outdated though - is it due to work focusing on FreeIPA?  Some say good software with bad documentation is worse than bad software with good documentation...I'm a hands-on guy so I would disagree, but I do see the point none the less.

I did make a few howtos for internal use, covering everything from setting up the first server, getting SSL working, getting replication working, then getting OSX and Linux hosts pulling from the mess.  They were docs meant for me to read (complete with the shorthand and shortcuts that I understand) but if you have problems then let me know and I'll see what I can clean up.  As it so happens, I'm setting up an all new MMR 389 pair in the next few days (our company is somewhat splitting, and I don't want to have it be different trees on the same directory)...so I'll know pretty quick if something has changed the last half-year.  Hell, if you were maybe going to be working on it in the next few days anyway, we can sortof step through it together online - just let me know.

Brian

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:14 PM, crashingdaily <crashingdaily@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jan 11, 2011, at 3:50 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:

> On 01/11/2011 01:40 PM, harry.devine@xxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> We just ran the mmr.pl script from server 1, and the data got
>> replicated across to server 2.  If we create a new user on server
>> 2, it does not get replicated to server 1.  It appears to be a 1
>> way replication.
> mmr.pl has bit rotted - no one maintains it any more - you're on
> your own if you decide to use it - patches/maintainer welcome

I've successfully used mmr.pl (last time with 389 1.2.6.1). I would
try restarting your two 389 instances, and if that doesn't magically
fix it, use the mmr.pl script to --remove the existing replication
agreement and then add it back while keeping an eye on the 389 logs
for errors. I've had rare cases where I've had to run mmr.pl twice to
get it to take.

The --with-ssl option was broken in the last version I used (but
that's clearly not the cause of Harry's issue). For working patched
version, should you want SSL replication, see
http://crashingdaily.wordpress.com/2010/11/13/fixing-the-mmr-pl-script-for-ssl/

>> Any thoughts?
>> Harry
>>
>> Harry Devine