Re: [389-users] upgrading packages

> > im not sure about centos, but in debian land is very tipical to
> > found messages like that after installing/upgrading:
> >
> >      "Remember to restart XXX package!"
> >
> > can yum do that?
> rpm can do that, if you run it from the command line. If you use a
> graphical tool to install/update packages, this information is not
> printed.
>
> But when you update 389-ds-base, rpm will upgrade and restart the
> servers for you (if they were running when you did the upgrade).

so, if rpm can detect you have an instance, why don't just run setup-ds-admin.pl -u?

> > do you think is a good idea?
> >
> > should i file a bug/feature request?
> I'd like to find out what is the problem with the way it is done now,
> and the motivation (i.e. what is the problem that you are attempting
> to solve).

i though it was clear with my previous questions.

upgrading your system from packages can be dangerous if you dont perform specific steps (setup-ds-admin.pl -u).

there's few packages that needs to perform a manual operation after upgrading, so a system may be misconfigured whithout your knowledge.

anyway, if you dont find this usefull just forget it. maybe is my problem because i tend to update my systems very often.

regards,

abosch