Re: [389-users] Connections not closing

Hi,

you may have a (software/hadrware) firewall or switch/load balancer issue between ldap server and other servers. Some firewalls and switches don't let the RSET packets pass correctly. I've seen such a thing once between a database server and the web server. It was a hardware firewall (and switch) problem.
If it's not a frewall/switch problem you should also reduce nsslapd-idletimeout of cn=config

A part of our sysctl.conf file on 389 server is very similar to yours, so the problem is not in the kernel config:
# The total session drop time will be (net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time + net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes*net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl)
# Time of session inactivity when the kernel will start to send probe packets
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 1200
# How long the kernel waits in between probes
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl = 30

We have three 389DS v1.2.6 on x86_64 servers, each one having ~100 parallel sessions, ~50000 connections and more than million searches per day,  and absolutely no problem with lingering tcp connecs. Among the services using the LDAP we have also FreeRadius...