Re: [389-users] SSL Cert Issue

John Mancuso wrote:
> I followed the exact procedure below numerous times with the same
> frustrating error:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/8.0/Managing_SSL-Using_certutil.html#certutil-procedure
>
> !481 $ openssl verify cacert_core.asc
> cacert_core.asc: /DC=tv/DC=freewheel/CN=CA cert
> error 18 at 0 depth lookup:self signed certificate
> OK
>
> !482 $ openssl verify cacert_PEKdev020.asc
> cacert_PEKdev020.asc: /DC=tv/DC=freewheel/CN=CA cert
> error 18 at 0 depth lookup:self signed certificate
> OK
>
> !474 $ certutil -V -u V -d . -n "Core CA certificate"
> certutil: certificate is valid
>
> !476 $ certutil -V -u V -d . -n "Core Server-Cert"
> certutil: certificate is valid
>
> I also imported the consumers CA cert into the supplier ... this is
> correct? I tried only importing the suppliers CA cert before with the
> same issue (trying everything here!)
>
> This looks strange though (why the duplicate cert):
>
> !478 $ certutil -d . -L
>
> Certificate Nickname                                         Trust Attributes
>                                                               SSL,S/MIME,JAR/XPI
> Core Server-Cert                                             u,u,u
> Core CA certificate                                          CTu,u,u
> Core CA certificate                                          CT,,

Ok, I think I know what you're seeing. Did you do the same procedure on
both the master and the replica?

If you did then you created two separate CAs that know nothing about
each other and don't trust one another.

You probably just want one CA in this case so I'd just pick either the
master or replica and issue another server certificate from it:

certutil -S -n "Replica-Cert" -s "cn=FQDN" -c "CA certificate" -t
"u,u,u" -m 1001 -v 120 -d . -k rsa -g 1024 -f /tmp/pwdfile

Then use pk12util to create a PKCS#12 file containing the cert and
private key:

pk12util -o replica.p12 -d . -n Replica-Cert

Ship this over to the replica and import it with:

pk12util -i replica.p12 -d .

The CA cert should be included in the PKCS#12 file but if it isn't
you'll need to grab it from the master and install it on the replica.

rob