Re: [389-users] superior attributes (not object classes)

Brian LaMere wrote:
> Regarding superior attributes, I found this email from 4 years ago:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-directory-users/2006-July/msg00059.html
>
> In it, "Mike" said "Seems that my schema conversion tool doesn't
> support attribute inheritance...[snip]...I will keep this in mind for
> a feature enhancement."
>
> rfc2252 defines superior attributes, and it was something I was using
> in my schema definition since I have a lot of new attributes and all
> but 4 of them had one of 5 different configs of "EQUALITY|ORDERING"
> and "SYNTAX".  Not only was it cleaner to be able to just inherit the
> syntax and matching rules, it also was faster ;)  Obviously, it
> doesn't keep me from doing anything.
>
> Was this ever looked at again for a feature enhancement?  Is it
> already available, if I do X thing?
A feature enhancement to the schema conversion tool?  I'm not sure who
maintains that now.

> During the schema reload, I got this error (for context):
>
> dse - The entry cn=schema in file
> /etc/dirsrv/slapd-(server)/schema/97hosting.ldif is invalid, error
> code 21 (Invalid syntax) - attribute type nocastr128: Missing parent
> attribute syntax OID
>
> I got it because I was using "SUP nocastr128" in an attributeType,
> after defining an attributeType of nocastr128 with the base components
> I wanted to inherit.
So the problem is that SYNTAX is not inherited from the parent?
What version of 389-ds-base are you using?
Can you post the definitions of the parent and child attributes?