Re: [389-users] Problems with running Management and Directory Consoles on remote servers

On 07/13/2010 01:28 PM, Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:

>> We chalked it up to latency in running a remote X session from a distant
>> location, and since we can run the console locally, we never bothered to
>> do any further research.  Now that we're not the only ones to have
>> experienced this behaviour, i wonder if there's not something more to it
>> than simple "slow Internet"...
>
> The problem seems to occur when going via vpn... whether this is related to the vpn or just related to increase latency is difficult to say. It can take up to two minutes for the login dialog box to be drawn when logging into a box using ssh -X<remote host>  without compression via vpn. However even though the login box eventually show up we are not able to click on any of the edit boxes to enter login information. The only sign that there is life, is the flash screen redrawing itself every so often.

Yes, we were connected over a VPN as well - Cisco, in this case - with
the underlying networks being 100mbit LAN -> ADSL -> Internet ->
Datacentre -> 1000mbit LAN.

Just now, as a test, i installed and ran Wireshark (gnome) via ssh -X to
the remote site, and from the same machine that i would normally have
run 389-console from.  It was relatively responsive - certainly usable,
in any case.

Could it be a java thing, or is it specific to the console tool, i wonder ?

--
Daniel Maher <dma + 389users AT witbe DOT net>