[389-users] Problems with running Management and Directory Consoles on remote servers

Hi
We are experiencing problems in our test environment with running or even just logging into the Management console when you run it on a remote server.
The steps are:
ssh -X <remote server>
389-console &
wait ages for splash screen to show
login dialog box eventually appears (>2 min) but empty no controls is drawn its just the outline

Enabling ssh compression makes very little difference

We have resorted to running 389-console on a local box and the connecting to the remote server with port forwarding trickery and alias localhost.

The servers we are ssh'ing to is running on VirtualBox, if we access them from the same machine on which the Virtualbox servers is running using ssh -X then there is no problem running the console, but if a colleague tries to access the Virtualbox machines from within the same network then the trouble starts. Trying to access a server running in Australia gives the same problem just a few times worse.

Java version:java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0-1.11.b16.el5
389:

389-dsgw-1.1.4-1.el5
389-ds-console-1.2.0-5.el5
389-console-1.1.3-6.el5