Re: [389-users] Single Master, Multiple Slave with NO Configuration Server Question

Vince Tingey wrote:
Hi everyone, I posted this last week but nobody replied. I thought I would send it out there one more time as I'd really like to know what you experts think. The documentation about what benefits using a configuration server gives you is lacking.

It allows you to do centralized server management - manage all servers from a single console.

Just wondering if there are any problems I should be aware of if I want to setup a single master multiple slave scenario WITHOUT using the master as a configuration server and just replicating our directory database (not o=Netscape Root). I'm ok having to connect to the slave admin servers individually instead of them all showing up in the console when I connect to the master admin server. Are there any other drawbacks?
No, not really, If you don't want the centralized console, then you don't have to use it. Many Fedora DS users don't use the console/admin server at all and just manage everything directly with scripts and web based tools.

What are the benefits of using a configuration server in this scenario?

Thank you,
--

Vince                   |  Michael Smith Laboratories
IT Systems Coordinator  |  University of British Columbia