Re: [389-users] Registering to a central admin server

Chris Phillips wrote:

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Rich Megginson <rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Chris Phillips wrote:

        On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Rich Megginson
        <rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:

           Chris Phillips wrote:

               Hi,

               Can someone describe how to register an existing dirsrv
               instance to an existing admin server? The ds-setup-admin.pl
               scripts clearly performs the registration exercise
        along with
               the build, but I can't see how to do this as a single, 100%
               safe non-destructive way of registering existing
        machines to a
               central admin server, to avoid having to annoyingly
        connect to
               admin instances on evey existing machine as we
        currently have to.

           You should be able to use register-ds-admin.pl, or use
           setup-ds-admin.pl -u to update software/version information
        in the
           console.

        Hi again,

        I've been trying to do this, but I can't see how to register
        with a different centralized server. at no point in the
        register-ds-admin.pl steps can I give an alternative server
        name / IP address to go off and connect to. Any tips?

    Try editing /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/adm.conf to point to the
    correct server, then try register-ds-admin.pl

Can we not have multiple ones? We'd want to be able to aggregate them back to a main console, but also connect to the machine itself if need be. Or could we just change the details temporarily?
It's not really designed for that - it's designed to have all servers registered in a central configuration directory server (o=NetscapeRoot), but I suppose with some hacking you could make it work.

Thanks

Chris