Re: Proposed new features for 1.3

Chandrasekar Kannan wrote:
One of my pet peeves .. a plugin that can compress/decompress binary
data.
When we store large binary data (that can be easily compressed
and stored ) in attributes , for example CRLs, I would like to see
a ds plugin that compresses the data prior to storage. stores in
compressed form. When asked to retrieve, decompress it on-the-fly.
BerkeleyDB (the storage manager used by FDS) has a feature (added after the DS was developed) that allows compression of the data stored. This might give you what you want, and it could also be handy in compressing entries in general. As far as I know nobody has tried to enable it with
the DS. Perhaps it's been testing with OpenLDAP, I'm not sure.